I’d never tried coconut cream pie. (Sorry to keep beating the same old bush, but do you remember the chocolate pie?! Yeah, it’s that good, so growing up I never branched out.) I hear that two of my aunts make a mean coconut cream pie, but I wouldn’t know. I’d never needed the best coconut cream pie recipe.
Then I got married, and guess what? Handsome HATES chocolate. So no chocolate pie for him. Who is he anyway? Until recently we both thought there was chocolate in Pecan pie – so we didn’t like that pie either. Handsome would tolerate apple pie – it’s pretty dang good.
So what does he like? Coconut Cream Pie. He LOVES coconut cream pie. It’s his favorite. I scoured Pinterest to find a great recipe, but nothing came close to his mom’s recipe. It’s the BEST Coconut Cream Pie recipe. So I begged for it. (And guess what? It’s pretty easy! SCORE!)
This pie is so creamy, so custardy, and oh so delish – it really is the BEST coconut cream pie recipe. Who knew I loved ALL pies so much?
- 1 c. flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅓ c. shortening (chilled)
- 3 TB cold water (+ a few drips)
- ¾ c. sugar
- ⅓ c. flour
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2 c. scalded milk (microwave)
- 2 TB butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 eggs (well beaten)
- 1 c. coconut
- Mix flour and salt
- Cut in chilled shortening until small clumps form
- Sprinkle water over clumps
- Carefully knead
- Add a few extra drips of water (You do not want a crumbly pie crust!)
- Roll out
- Place in pie pan
- Prick with a fork several times
- Place beans or pie weights on the crust
- Bake @400 for 8-10 min (or until golden)
- Combine sugar, flour, salt, hot milk and butter in saucepan.
- Cook on medium until it thickens
- Add a few spoonfuls to the beaten egg mixture
- Stir constantly
- Add egg mixture back to saucepan.
- Cook another 2-3 minutes
- Remove from heat
- Add vanilla, vanilla beans, and coconut.
- Fill pie.
- Cool in fridge
- Top with whipped cream.