I’m sure this will come as NO surprise to you, but I think these are the best lemon bars in the entire world. Don’t even try to argue with me here, because I’m telling you…. NO WAY.
It is NOT hard for me to tell you why these are the best and ONLY lemon bars you needs in your life:
1. The thick, buttery crust. Pretty standard on a good lemon bar, right? (So why is it that SO FEW lemon bars actually have this?!)
2. Ooey, gooey lemony filling – not curdled or crunchy. This stuff literally oozes out with each bite you take. It’s a mess and it’s so worth it.
3. The powdered sugar topping – because extra sugar is not a bad thing … ever! This also makes a huge mess. Have you ever tried eating something without breathing? Because trying if you do accidentally breathe through your nose you spray the room with powdered sugar. It’s a magical, messy treat.
- 1 c. butter room temperature
- 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 2 c. flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 6-7 TB lemon juice
- 1 3/4 c. sugar
- 1/3 c. flour
- Powdered sugar for topping
Mix first four ingredients together (butter, powdered sugar, flour, salt) with a pastry cutter.
Grease a 9x13 pan.
Pat the flour mixture into the 9x13.
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes (DO NOT let it get brown, keep it light!)
Cool slightly (or don't! I've had great success pouring the lemon mixture right on top and throwing it back in the oven!)
In a blender, blend remaining ingredients (eggs, lemon juice, sugar, and flour) until frothy. (30 seconds or longer).
Pour over crust.
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes (Convection should be 325 for 20 min)
Remove from oven and top with powdered sugar. (bars MAY have large bumps in it - Totally normal!)
If the middle is not baked all the way (aka - super jiggly) after the 20 minute baking time you may not have blended your egg mixture long enough.
Try baking for a few extra minutes. Your bars may still be delicious but not gorgeous.
TRY AGAIN! Don't be afraid to give it another go! Sometimes - for no reason at all - these don't set up.