Long story: So for PI day, I was looking around for an AMAZING raspberry cream pie. I mean, I SUPPOSE I could have made a quick crust and thrown some canned raspberries in, but I honestly couldn’t bring myself to do it. I have a reputation to uphold. Joking, but a little serious also.
So I saw THIS raspberry cream pie picture ALL OVER PINTEREST. It looks incredible. Unfortunately, it’s one of those pictures that leads you to dead ends, nowhere, or foreign websites.
But my heart was SET on a raspberry cream pie.
So I scoured the internet for a decent raspberry cream pie and settled on this one from Taste of Home – because it looks SOOOO pretty. That picture? A+ my friends.
I made it for PI day (you can see the successful picture HERE – it’s the bottom right). It was SO delicious, and enjoyed by all, that I figured I should write it down to share with you lovelies.
Ready. Set. FAIL. Big time.
Apparently I was distracted as I was baking this up. Wait…what? ME?! Distracted??? Yeah… my bad. When I took it out to photograph it, something was OFF… I tasted it…BLECH. Something was definitely wrong. Turns out I forgot to add the whipped cream to the filling, so I had this weird cream cheese-y filling ruining my entire pie.
Are you still with me? Here’s where “genius” strikes. I’ll just ADD THE WHIPPED CREAM NOW! It won’t look pretty, but at least I won’t have wasted all those yummy fresh raspberries…right?
I was not prepared for how awful it would look. However, assuming your eyes were closed, it did taste pretty amazing.
What do you think? Would YOU pin THIS Raspberry Cream Pie?!
I didn’t think so. Goopy. Lumpy. FAIL.
I was beside myself – I couldn’t just WASTE raspberries (in case you can’t tell, I’m a bit of a raspberry hoarder)!
Ice cream – to the rescue.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home
- 1-1/2 C. crushed Rice Krispie Treat Oreos (Golden Oreos would work fine too!)
- 1/4 C. butter melted
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 2/3 C. confectioners' sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 C. whipped cream
- 1 C. sugar
- 3 TB cornstarch
- 3 TB water
- 2 1/2 C. fresh or frozen raspberries divided
- Combine the Oreo crumbs and butter.
- Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Fold in whipped cream.
- Spread into crust.
- Chill until serving.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch.
- Stir in water and 1-1/2 cups raspberries.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Transfer to a glass bowl.
- Refrigerate until chilled.
- Spread topping over filling.
- Garnish with remaining berries.