Magic bars. Guys. These two words changed my life. I’m so not even kidding right now.
You may be looking at my Hello Dolly recipe and thinking to yourself, “Gee Kaylynn, these recipes look EXACTLY the same except one different – the CRUST.”
I know, I know, I know, but the Oreo crust CHANGES EVERYTHING. It changes a plain old Hello Dolly bar into a freaking Magic Bar. NO JOKE.
You’d think I’d remember the skiing and family time, which I do, but the most vivid thing in my memory revolved around FOOD.
1. Our ski instructor, Kirt, would always share his NutriGrain bars with us (my sister and me).
2. We’d always meet up for lunch afterwards (usually homemade turkey sandwiches with ground mustard). YUM.
3. We could ALMOST always pick a treat from the lodge.
I say “almost always” because ski food from the lodge was usually ridiculously overpriced. But fairly often we could pick out a hot chocolate or … magic bar.
a) the crust. Guys, it HAS to be doubled. Even as I was making it I thought, “Double the crust may not be enough… maybe I should triple it?”
b) the OREOs. VERY IMPORTANT : YOU MUST REMOVE THE CREAM FILLING FROM THE OREO COOKIE. Now I’m sure you think I’m crazy. Are you kidding me? Peel off that glorious layer of sugary white filling? YES. I did it and I was cursing my own name, but it is WORTH it. SO SO worth it. The darkness of the cookie comes through – no sugary sweet filling. Plus, it crushes finer and just tastes better.
- 1 c. butter melted
- 3 c. Oreos crushed - FILLING REMOVED
- 1 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 c. butterscotch chips
- 1/2 c. white chocolate chips
- 1 1/3 c. coconut
- 1 c. chocolate chips
- 1/2 c. walnuts
Remove filling from Oreos
Stir in crushed Oreos
Press into a 9x13 pan
Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over crumbs
Tops with remaining ingredients in the order listed above.
Press down firmly
Bake 325 for 25 min
Cut into bars
Serve at room temperature